Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 48 going through menopause with excessively oily skin…

Customer Question
I am 48 going...

I am 48 going through menopause with excessively oily skin on my face and scalp with cystic acne in my bil. temples, both sides above ears.. with hair loss and balding in these areas.. please help

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

I have always had oily skin but it has tripled or quadrupled the amount of sebum that is being excreted in my hair and also my face… This has been going on since January of this year but has increased to unbelievable, miserable measures. I went to my PCP last week And was prescribed Aldactone 50 mg b.i.d. of which I have taken a few years ago to control the oil production of my skin. I have been on it for a week with no difference whatsoever if anything it has gotten worse with the excessive oil production… I use rice blotting papers all the time and within 30 minutes of using one to soak up the oil from my face… It needs blotting again and again and again

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No only that I am miserable now and self conscious to the point of isolating myself at home except for work... I’m a RN and I’m embarrassed by this issue..

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dermatology
5/28/2018
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 24 days ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

A picture would be helpful

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Both sides LT/RT temples, bil sides and hairline
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No I don’t want to call.