Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a small blister inside of my lower left lip and my…

Customer Question
I have a small blister...
I have a small blister inside of my lower left lip and my lower left lip line.
No real pain, maybe tingling. Could it be a cold sore?I also had a what my doctor thought was a pimple on my lip line about a week ago.
On my top left lip line. No pain, maybe tingling. Never turned into a group of blisters or open sores.
Went away in about a week.
They performed a culture test at the time, which came out negative.
But, there was no liquid on the "pimple" so I am not sure about accuracy.About three weeks ago, I had a single sized blister/swelling which I could best describe as a cyst.
No pain, just swelling on my top right inner lip. I went to urgent care, and the nurse thought it could be a cold sore.
And I took IGG blood test, and it was both negative. They gave me valtrex, and it went away within a week.
It never turned into a group of blisters or open sores.All three times they looked different. And all three times different location.
So I am very confused.
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dermatology
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Pictures of current issue
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Issue week ago.
Do not have pics of three weeks ago.
5/2/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 21 days ago
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

This is Dr. Shah and am reviewing your question now.

I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Did you get cold sore blisters in the past? Was your igg test done for both HSV 1 & 2?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No this is 1st time I had them.Yes both hsv 1 and 2
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Also both of the I have now was not there this morning.

Does it look like a blister? has it opened up? Fluid inside?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
It may have fluid. It is very small. I have attached pictures previously.It had not opened up. All three times it did not open up.

Thanks for the information.

The way you are presenting, it does not sound like cold sores. Moreover, you don't have a typical presentation for cold sores. Your IGg report is also negative. The spots that you have seems like a fordyce spot. These are harmless sports and does not require any treatment. Other possibility would be a cyst, again a minor issue.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.

I am still online.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up question for me. If not, please leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I am sending additional pictures to you now.I have fordacye spots on my top lip. And it doesnt look like them at all.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
outer lip
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
inner lip
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
When I touch the inner lip with my tongue. I can taste it Like it is open. But that may be because I bit into.I tried to poke and pop the outer lip. And will not pop.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Does fordyce spots appear sontaniously? And does it look like that?Also, can you get them inside your lip?

Yes, fordyce spots can appear inside your mouth as well.

Other possibility would be a cyst, but these are certainly not cold sores.

I hope it helps.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Finally, my IGG test results are not conclusive, because it was only about (2) weeks after I had a possible encounter. But, the person I had encounter had negative IGG as well.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is there a way to remove Fordyce spot from my lip?
Dermatologist: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 20 days ago

Yes, it can be removed by a dermatologist. Several options exist like micro-punch surgery or laser treatments. Sometime, you doctor may try local chemical treatment as well to shrink the spots.

I hope it helps.

Now you can leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor