Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter had ear pierced before thanksgiving last year.

Customer Question
My daughter had ear...

My daughter had ear pierced before thanksgiving last year. She worn stainless steel thinking that it wont have the allergy effect. I kept on cleaning both pierced with alcohol swab each day. 2 weeks ago they are infected so i keep cleaning both using warm salt water. No more swollen but i still see the pus on each ear. I bought the medical plastic earring and she has been wearing them since saturday. How do i clean to heal her pierced ear?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

The swelling was only happen 2 weeks ago. No they dont swell but pus and blood still coming out a little bit

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This is her 3rd pierced. She got 2 pierce which end up infected when she was 8yrs old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
4/2/2018
Dermatologist: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Is she taking any medicine orally?

No

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
The plastic ear rings need to be removed too.
Presence of foreign body helps in persisting the infection.
You can clean it with warm salt water.
Warm application is helpful here.
It increases the blood flow & brings in white blood cells, antibodies to fight infection.
Antibiotic cream like neosporin can be applied.
It is available OTC.
Neosporin would fight pus producing bacteria.
Those would help in most cases.
If the discharge continues, I would advise to get it checked by doctor.
Oral antibiotics or prescription grade ointment can be needed.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

The plastic earring company guaranteed them to be 100% non-reactive to human body. Why do you think it needs to be removed?
I washed my hands thoroughly before I clean her ear.
I have been cleaning them with warm salt water for 2 weeks. 3 times a day.
If I apply some neosporin isnt it the wound will keep moist? So it will heal longer?
Hi

The ear ring may be non reactive but any external material may harbor bacteria on its surface.
Non reactive means it would not cause allergic reaction.
So it is better to remove it.
Neosporin would coat the area & prevent infection.
It would not delay healing.

How long do you think they should be no more pus after the neosporin is applied?

It may take a few days to a week.
However, it will depend on the type & sensitivity of the bacteria, condition of puncture site mainly.