Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Is the brownish patch in the attached picture symptoms of…

Hi is the brownish patch...
Hi is the brownish patch in the attached picture symptoms of ringworm? The skin is on the inner Thigh of his left leg. The person used to have fungal infection on toe nails and on his inner Thigh on the other leg. The patch is itchyless has been on the leg for one month, started off as dry flaky brownish patch.
3/28/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing clear pictures.

Well, I can understand your concern.

Well, from this description, it sounds to be Ringworm infection.

Ringworm is a very common fungal infection which can cause a red or silvery ring-like rash on the skin. There may or may not be associated itching.

Ringworm is associated with the patch, that may be redder on the outside edges or resemble a ring.

There are very effective antifungal medications available like-
Clotrimazole cream, Canestan cream to be applied twice daily.

If symptoms, doesn’t improve with it, then you would need prescription medications like- Fluconazole, itraconazole, terbinafine etc.

You should not wear thick clothing for long periods of time in warm, humid weather. Avoid excessive sweating.

Please use OTC anti-fungal cream on the affected part, and you would get good results.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May I help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks Dr, my husband who has this ringworm used to cycle for 2 to 4 hours on weekly basis in tropical weather here and I suspect the patch of skin with ringworm is just where his legs will rub against his cycle seat. So he should quit cycling, does it make sense?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
we are machine washing his pants together with other laundry with diluted lcolour bleach, is it sufficient as sanitisation measure? Or should he discard all his pants?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
We use diluted hydrogen peroxide in the colour bleach in machine washing

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Yes, he should avoid cycling, for 1-2 weeks, till he gets fully cured. Yes, staying away from the cycle, would surely help him.

You can wash his clothes in hot water or can add hydrogen peroxide and borax in the washing machine.

Please use OTC anti-fungal cream on the affected part, and he would get good results.

God bless you and take care.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
If I only use hydrogen dioxide, no borax is it enough?Should he give up cycling as ringworm keeps coming back to his inner Thigh

Yes, you can use can use either of it.

You can only use hydrogen peroxide in the washing machine.

Yes, he should give up cycling, for at least 2-3 weeks.

God bless you and take care.

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Should he discard all his pants even after washing?

Not at all.

You can wash them with use of hydrogen peroxide in the washing machine.

He can again wear them. No need to worry.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor