Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I developed a rash under my hairline behind my ear a week…

Customer Question
I developed a rash under...
I developed a rash under my hairline behind my ear a week ago today on Wednesday, 3/21. I went to see a dermatologist on Monday, 3/26. She looked for about 2 minutes and said this is likely shingles. I told her that 2 days before I had a massage where I was completely clothed and covered except for my neck and head where the masseuse had indeed massaged me with her gloved hand and I thought it might not have been the cleanest place. She completely dismissed that as a factor and prescribed an antiviral which I've been taking 3 times a day for the last 2 days. The thing is I think she misdiagnosed it.
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Dermatologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 23 days ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I agree that this is not shingles since you don't mention any pain in this area of your body. You may have developed irritation which has become a fungal infection from the table or gloves. May I suggest you try two over the counter medications applied together twice daily. Tinactin and 1 % Hydrocortisone Cream. This should clear in about 7-10 days. If not then please return to a different Dermatologist for further evaluation.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Right I have no significant pain. If this was shingles then would I, at this point about a week after the first symptoms appeared, certainly feel pain?I was also in a communal hot tub on that same trip that ended a week ago. When you write fungal infection does that include folliculitis which is what I found to not only look like my rash but also resembles shingles in that over the weekend there were small eruptions that released a clear fluid. Those eruptions were short-lived and the whole area dried out pretty quickly. SO given that new info can you confirm that this definitely not shingles and very likely folliculitis and that I should stop the anti-viral therapy and start the therapy you advise?

I have never had a patient with shingles NOT have pain, so I cannot accept that you have shingles. Your picture is not 100% clear so I can't see individual hair follicles. I see no reason, based on the development of your rash, to continue with anti-viral medication. If possible have someone look at the area and if there are hairs in an inflamed area, pull them out with a tweezer. Apply the Tinactin and Hydrocortisone. I feel you will have a resolution quickly.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
One other thing - my neck has swelled up. I noticed pretty much right away that I had a little difficulty swallowing but not too bad. But yesterday I noticed that my neck on that side was fairly swollen and tender. Would this also be a result of bacterial or fungal infection?

Yes, as any inflammation could cause swelling of the skin. Difficulty swallowing, however, is not related to the rash on your skin. May I suggest warm salt water gargles for your throat, 3-4 times daily and if you have any nasal congestion or post-nasal drainage, Claritin or Zyrtec for a few days should resolve this.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I just want to be clear that my throat is a bit more closed than it should be. It's not just a swelling of the skin around my throat.Also, you mentioned fungus and a topical cream. I mentioned folliculitis which is possible from the gloves or the hot tub. Are you ruling that out based on what you see and my symptoms? Can you please explain that because I do not want to take any chances if I need to see someone and get on antibiotics. I cannot afford to miss something here.

Your throat is not connected to the rash on your neck. I see a dry flaky rash on your neck. This is more indicative of a fungal infection rather than folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicle). Also, your use of a "hot tub" would suggest fungal, not bacterial. If it is folliculitis, the medication and pulling the hair from the center will cure this. Folliculitis is treated topically, not internally. If possible please attach a clear picture of the area.

Dermatologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 22 days ago

Questions?

Dermatologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 17 days ago

How is your rash?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor