Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

What are the options for a person who has had a melonia

Customer Question
What are the options...

What are the options for a person who has had a melonia cancer that was very long. He has gone through all the tests to find out if the cancer has spread and all tests came back negative for any spread. He is considered as level 2 on the cancer levels.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

He has seen a cancer specialist who has contacted our insurance that has stated that he does not qualify for any but the very worst treatment which involves a very long treatment period. We are just wondering if we should get a second opinion.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has had several non-cancrious Basel cell cancers. He is a Diabetic which is under control. He has high blood pressure which is also under control. He has had open heart surgery for a 4 by-pass. He is 74 years old.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

He just had an appointment with his primary care giver and everything was fine. He has been feeling well.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
3/27/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it depends on what type of stage II melanoma cancer he has and if his cancer is BRAF mutation postiive or not.

Low-risk patients: The majority of patients diagnosed with melanoma present with stage I or IIA disease (≤2 mm in thickness with ulceration, or localized tumor ≤4 mm in thickness without ulceration) and a negative sentinel lymph node biopsy. In these patients, surgery is usually curative, and adjuvant (additional) therapy is not indicated except in the context of a formal clinical trial.

High-risk node-negative (stage IIB or IIC) disease: Patients without lymph node involvement but with high-risk features in their primary tumor are at increased risk for recurrence and disease dissemination. High-risk primary tumors include those that are >4 mm thick, or >2 mm thick with ulceration. High-risk node-negative patients were excluded from the phase III clinical trials evaluating nivolumab, ipilimumab, and targeted therapy with dabrafenib plus trametinib. so the best data for additional therapy for these patients is with interferon therapy which can have side effects. the patient can also look into a clinical trail studying what is the best treatment option for these patients.