Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had this weird growth on my right cheek for years…

I have had this weird...
I have had this weird growth on my right cheek for years (probably 15 years) - it has never really changed, maybe gotten a little bigger over the years, but it may not have changed at all. I had a GP look at it once and he said it's an ingrown hair from shaving, then another Dr. said it was a skin tag which I have a lot of under my eyes and my arms, and in my groin.......I was wondering what you thought it might be - could it also be a wart? Also what could I do to remove it? In patient surgery to remove it? Is it harmless?
3/26/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Not cancer and nothing too serious

Not a wart either

It's called an actinic keratosis

Nothing topical will work on it but it can easily be removed with liquid nitrogen freezing by a dermatologist

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I read online that that actinic keratosis can become cancerous over time - what is the chance of this? Should I have it removed?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
hopefully you can still answer this even though I already rated you

It very rarely turns to cancer but I think you should have it removed

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
very rarely like less than 1% - I will get it removed but am having a colonoscopy in a month and would like to wait until end of the year to do this - unless you think it should be done asap - I have had it for years already

No, no need to have it done ASAP--the fact that it's been there for so long means it isn't cancer

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
it being there 15 years means if it would have turned into cancer it already would have then?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
thanks for your time today

I'm saying that it simply isn't cancer right now

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
last question - what percent of lesions like this become cancerous? Thanks

Less than 1%

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok thank you

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice