Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

What is this red area seen in the picture?

3/22/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

How long have you had that and does it itch?

It does itch, and I just noticed it today

I doesn't look fungal like ringworm

It looks like a patch of allergic dermatitis--sometimes seen with new soaps, detergents, etc

But many times the trigger isn't determined

Nothing too serious though

You can use over the counter 1% hydrocortisone twice a day for a week plus either benadryl or Claritin orally to take care of it

Please let me know if you need any more information

Could it come from just shaving yesterday after not shaving for a while?

Absolutely

absolutely nothing serious?

No, not at all

I was just concerned cause it didn't appear to blanche when I pressed on it but then again it's hard to see really clearly with where it is

I promise you it's nothing at all to worry about

Awesome! Thank you!

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice