Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Darkening/hyperpigmentation around my lips for past 6 weeks,

Customer Question
especially at corners of my...
Darkening/hyperpigmentation around my lips for past 6 weeks, especially at corners of my lips. Started off as allergic reaction. My lips were swollen, red and dark around the lips. Was told by dermatologist on Just ask to use 1% hydrocortisone cream 2x day for 5 days. Swelling went down after the use but the darkness around my lips is not improving. So I restarted on hydrocortisone cream two days ago.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dermatology
I have added a photo from 4 weeks ago when I had the allergic reaction (I'm not sure what the reaction was to). And there are also some photos from today.
3/22/2018
Dermatologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This is known as epidermal post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and is often seen after an allergic reaction and/or inflammation due to any cause.

1 percent hydrocortisone might not yield very effective results. It will be better to discuss this with your Dermatologist and have him/her prescribe you either a stronger steroid cream or Hydroquinone cream.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hi Dr. Uzair thanks for your response. If I continue using the hydrocortisone until I see a dermatologist, will this make the hyperpigmentation worse? The thickening at the corners of my mouth, is it possible that could be fungal at all?
It does not look fungal especially if you do not have an itch. Fungal infections can present with darkening of skin but have flaky white borders and are very itchy.
No, using hydrocortisone will not make it worse.
Please do leave a 5-star rating.
Best wishes.
One last question, is there anything specific I should avoid putting on that area?
Avoid putting perfumed moisturizers. Other than that, you should be fine. Use sun block and avoid direct sunlight. That can make the hyperpigmentation worse.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Take good care.