Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have spots on my face and neck. What could be causing

Customer Question
I have white spots...

I have white spots on my face and neck. What could be causing this

Doctor's Assistant: When did spots first appear? Have you used any medication for this?

On my back several years ago on the face about a year or so now they are going down my jawline and neck

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dermatologist about spots?

I had an appointment yesterday but was canceled due to snow

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
3/21/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Are you able to upload a picture of the spots?

I just uploaded 2
They first started on my Back several years ago

Sorry, I will opt out and see if another expert can help you.

Dermatologist: Dr. Chip, General pratice replied 4 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello I'm Dr Chip

The other expert opted out of this

Those are all totally benign small cysts--not acne of any type. No particular trigger for them

Topical tretinoin cream could be tried first with these but I would opt instead for a cold CO2 laser followed by a chemical peel to rid you of them

I hope you get to see the dermatologist since these should be fairly easy to get rid of

Please let me know if you need any more information

Where can I find the cream?

Over the counter Retinol cream can be found at any pharmacy--you use it morning and evening for a month

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see you have opted out the other expert.

you are not willing to try the Retinol cream?

you have some redness on your cheek as well. do you have this redness on the other side?

how old are you?

I am willing to try the cream I’m just not sure I agree that it’s cysts.It’s Red on both sides it’s the white spots that are my main concern like it’s losing pigment or something. Then on top of that I have redness and red bumps all over my cheeks. Maybe 2 separate issues I’m not sure. I am 40

it looks more like rosacea on your face or eczema on your skin.

you can get eczema on your back

eczema can be due to irritated or reactive skin which can become inflamed and red and irritated.

sometimes a mild steroid cream can help calm down skin inflammation.

better face cleaning program with a mild face exfoliating soap and mild skin moisturization regularly can help you skin as well.

Ok, I currently use IS Clinical cleaning and exfoliating regimen. WHich has not helped but it hasn’t made it worse either.So you think the white spots could be from rosacea or exema?

yes, the white spots I think are from rosacea eczema on your face

you can try 1% hydrocortisone cream on your face and see if that helps over time

that can help eczema but may not help with rosacea

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com