Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have continually had hair shedding of the scalp and other…

Customer Question
Hello Dr. Josh I have...
Hello Dr. Josh I have continually had hair shedding of the scalp and other regions with the scalp being in no particular spot with redness with the other regions seeming very patchy and red. I have also had stomach issues/bowel issues and have an awaiting appointment with a Gastroenterologist. Yet seeing as this has lasted a year and all of the symptoms started at once including yellow semen and swollen nodes in my armpit and neck that week I was wondering if you think this is an autoimmune disorder. I have had blood work done that would not suggest that anything is out of the ordinary.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Dermatologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience. Dr. Josh does not appear to be available currently, but I would be happy to help you. Can you tell me please, what blood work was done and are you able to attach a copy of the results for me to review? Were you concerned regarding a particular autoimmune disorder? Do you currently have any chronic medical conditions or take any medications regularly?

Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

your symptoms don't point to autoimmune disorder.

have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked?

you may benefit from avoiding gluten and milk in your diet to help your bowels.

eating protein and fruits and vegetables could help your bowels

yellow semen is often normal

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

I had had my thyroid hormone levels checked which indicated that nothing was off, even after quitting alcohol and caffeine consumption I could not get my semen colour to return to normal, it had started appearing yellow about a year ago at the same time I had hemorrhoids, fever, headaches nausea and itching with swollen nodes in the neck and armpit and the fever and nodes went away but to this point I am still experiencing itching ibs and nausea (reflux) that I have never experienced before and am not sure why all of this happened at once or what triggered all of it at once.

semen color is normal to be yellow.

yellow doesn't mean something is wrong

just being able to feel lymph nodes in your neck doesn't mean something is wrong.

I consistently have a pain on the left side of my neck right where the throat starts but not the right and I had thyroid levels checked when I did my tests and don't know if the minoxidil I used could have caused a hormone imbalance or caused my thyroid not to function properly or if it caused my stomach issues as I only ever experienced nausea on minoxidil then after I quit using after 2 months the nausea got worse

the minoxidil would not caused a hormone imbalance.

I was told by doctor Josh contrary to what I was told before that the monoxidil could have caused my low sex drive and impotence which I was told earlier that it did not. I have had significant shedding of hair in patches that seems to look like my hair is stuck in a vellus stage in my pubic area, head and legs as seen in pics before as well as the head of my penis looking red ish and slightly bumpy and it normally has no itching or anything in that area but there is itching probably because of the hair loss in the area as well as a weird tingle in the head of the penis once in a blue moon that doesn't come with any of the other symptoms.

these symptoms are not being caused by monoxidil

you are letting your anxiety get out of control with worry here

I currently am riddled with anxiety because I am continually sick when I eat and this all started a year ago in the Bahamas when I had my lymph nodes swell with nausea and diarrhea then was told it was reflux and ibs even though I never had a history of anxiety. My anxiety is only existent because I feel continually sick when I try to eat properly and continually lose large amounts of hair everywhere

you need to talk to your doctor about treatment for your anxiety symptoms.

I have no problems being treated for anxiety but I found the cyprolex made me feel worse as I was numb and had no feelings of any kind and my sex drive was completely non existent- after being off of it I have regained some of my sex drive and feel better

have you tried medical marijuana for your anxiety symptoms.