Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My doctor says I have an abscess on my chest and has me on…

My doctor says I...

My doctor says I have an abscess on my chest and has me on antibiotics. I'm more worried about the lump it has caused under my skin. .I've been taking antibiotics for 4 days and at times it is soft but as day goes on lump seems a little harder. Just wondering if this is normal.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Will be 4 weeks this Thursday. I did get some puss out of it about a week ago

3/19/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

No I cant

No problem

Has it drained at all?

It got a little pus out about a week ago

Did your doctor consider lancing it and getting the pus out?

He put me on antibiotics on Thursday and said to see him in two weeks
I went to med well for another opinion last Friday and she said the lump is skin tissue from the skin infection.

What you have right now is normal for an abscess

It's possible that the antibiotics alone will take care of it, but unless it drains on it's own and all the pus is released it may be necessary for your doctor to lance and drain it

For now just being on the antibiotics is fine but if it doesn't start to go away in another couple of days you need to have your doctor look at it again

Please let me know if you need any more information

I'm just worried about the lump and wandering if is normal to have lump like this and what it is made up of

The lump is from the pus under your skin--that's basically what an abscess is

Why does lump seem to be soft after resting but gets a little harder during day.
is that normal?

That's totally normal--that's exactly how an abscess behaves

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Will antibiotics take care of this. Supply is for 2 weeks and I have 10 days left of prescription.

They should work but you need to take the entire course

I appreciate your help, but would it still be normal for lump to be there after I do take all of prescription.

No, if the antibiotics do their job the lump will disappear

Again I'm sorry for asking but I'm just worried if it doesn't can he take care of it

No problem

If it persists all he would have to do is lance and drain it

Is it normal now that no more pus is coming out of it

Yes that's normal and nothing to worry about

Also is normal for it to turn black and blue,I know that's probably just from me constantly feeling to see if lump is going down

Yes that's normal too

You really don't need to be so worried about this

I know but its how I am. I appreciate your help. Even now I wish I could send a picture of it so you could see. When medwell said on second opinion that its a skin infection is that same thing as an abscess

Yes--an abscess and a skin infection are the same thing

I'm going to try to send picture of it right now if I can

OK

Sorry for taking so long but I'm trying to load it from my kindle to laptop

No worry--I'll be here

I cant seem to download on here

Try using the paper clip icon on this page

where is paper c lip I con
did it come througg

Got those--hold on please

ok

That's definitely an abscess and it doesn't look too serious

Give the antibiotics to do their job and you'll be fine

Thank you so much, just one last question, Can an abscess just form like that.

Yes it can--it isn't an indication of some other medical problem

You could see lump and all on picture and is the black and blue just from feeling it to much

Yes--I saw it very clearly and the black and blue is just from your fiddling with it

Thank you so much for your patience with me

Entirely my pleasure and call on me anytime

Thank you very much.

You're welcome

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice