Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have sore bumps on the sides of my tongue for the past few…

I have sore bumps...

I have sore bumps on the sides of my tongue for the past few days. They appeared after a night in which I was nauseous and vomited, and the bumps appeared the next day.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain is occasional and intermittent for the past 4 days, and is when I eat something or otherwise move my tongue around a lot.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm a 68 year old male, have had gall bladder removed years ago, except for acid reflux in pretty good health.

3/19/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How many bumps are there?

How large?

Did you take any medicine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are 2. The 1 on the left is larger and sticks out on the side of the tongue. The 1 on the right is small and flat with very little feeling. I take meds for blood pressure acid reflux and prostate but I haven't for this.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
It appears to be enlarged papilla of tongue.
This can be from an inflammation or infection of the papilla of the tongue.
It can also come from exposure to irritation like hot food, spices.
Allergy to toothpaste, mouthwash can cause it.
Deficiency of iron or B vitamins are causative factors too.
You can try Listerine mouthwash.
Lactobacillus yogurt can help.
Vitamin supplements can be taken too.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pictures

Thank you for the pictures.

There appear to have ulcers too.

Aphthous ulcers can be associated.

Please use brush with soft bristle.
Mouthwash like Listerine can be used.
You should take plenty of fluid, bland diet, & avoid spicy, citrus food.
Hydrogen peroxide diluted in similar quantity of water can be applied, followed by application of Milk of Magnesia.
Gargle with a mixture of Milk of Magnesia and Benadryl can help.
Ice chips can be applied over the sore and it can be soothing.
Steroid mouth rinse or paste can help but will need prescription for those.
If you do not feel relief, I would advise to get an examination by your doctor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1 more: it feels slightly less uncomfortable today. How long should it take to heal?

As the bumps are large, it can take time to heal.
It may take 2 weeks too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for follow-up. I feel some slow improvement but the big bump is sensitive and bled a bit today. Is fatigue a normal symptom? This is day 8.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Today's pic.

Today the picture looks better than before.
Fatigue is not a symptom of it.
There can be dehydration, anemia, deficiency of vitamins, overwork & others.
Please try to take plenty of fluid.
You can try vitamin supplements.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again.

You are always welcome.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Day 12. I think there's slow progress. What do you think? Thank you.

Yes, progress is slow but no worsening.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)