Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Some of my finger nails have ridges or ridge line running…

Some of my finger nails...
Some of my finger nails have ridges or ridge line running hortazonal across 4 of the nail. Curious what these are called , what can cause them They do not hurt. I take multi viat. every day
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Horizontal ridges you are having can be due to various causes.Horizontal nail ridges run from one side of the nail lengthwise across to the other side.Its most common causes are: malnutrition, a problem in the metabolism functions of the body, previous acute illness,respiratory disease, metabolic disorders such as diabetes.

Also horizontal ridges can occur as a result of severe stress, either psychological or physical, such as from infection and/or disease.

The symptom of horizontal ridges on the nail should not be ignored & definitely be checked by doctor as other specialized tests are required to know the exact underlying cause & treat accordingly.

Please do not worry. There is nothing serious or dangerous about this. But the underlying cause needs to be find out & hence the treatment accordingly.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

I am on disability for 26 years due to chronic anxiety. I have copd, last 8 years. Under doctors care for monotoring copd. No smoke , no drink. Use advair

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

As you are having chronic anxiety since years- this can be the cause of these horizontal ridges.

Also COPD can also be the cuase.

COPD is one of the commonest cause of such horizontal ridges on nails.

Continue to use advair & also other underlying cause needs to be ruled out.

Please do not worry. There is nothing serious or dangerous about this.

Just take your prescribed medications as prescribed.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor