Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I wasn’t sure what type of doctor to speak to about this…

Hello doctor, I wasn’t sure...
Hello doctor, I wasn’t sure what type of doctor to speak to about this issue, but everywhere I search it says a dermatologist is the one to talk to.I noticed I have a much higher hairline than my peers, in 24. Idk if this could be considered male pattern baldness, but my question was is male pattern baldness just a way to talk about a receding hairline? Does everyone who deals with MPB go fully bald? Can people just have a higher hairline?
3/17/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Sorry for the delay

Has your hairline been receding or has it always been like that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No worries doctor! Well, it’s hard to tell. From pictures when I was much younger it was longer. I’ve only started taken noticed in my late teens early 20’s. I haven’t noticed it getting worse, and when I gently tug on it or brush it nothing comes out

That's definitely male pattern baldness

It can sometimes be hereditary

It's not a health problem in any way

Rogaine or finasteride can improve it somewhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m confused by the term male pattern baldness, I’ve been told it’s just another term for receding hairline. Does this mean I’m gonna go completely bald, or could my hairline just recede like it has

Part of MPB is the receding hairline but it can also start at the crown of the head

But it certainly doesn't mean you're going to go completely bald and it may not progress any further than it has

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh so there are many different extents? I could quite possibly keep the hair in the middle and just recede a little? What I’ve read usually it doesn’t fully affect a person until late 50’s sometimes it can happen in the 20’s. Both my parents were adopted, my mom has a little bit of a recession, my dad has a little aswel but all his hair. I was just worried about losing it all especially in the front and middle

Yes there are different extents for every man

And it can start in the 20's

But I see no reason to worry that you'll go bald

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you doctor, so this could quite possibly the worst it gets? Does MPB just mean the hairline recedes?

Part of MPB can be a receding hairline and only that

But it's entirely possible your hairline won't recede any more

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
MPB is just a term to describe hairloss in general, it doesn’t actually mean the man is bald

Yes--just a term for all types of hair loss but it doesn't mean you'll go bald

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you doctor. I hope i get to keep my hair lolOh, I consulted with you the other night about a ingrown/folliculitis. I used the clyndamacin wipe then used Neosporin, are those ok, they don’t have any negative interactions?

No interactions between the clindamycin wipes and the Neosporin

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you doctor, just curious. I keep hearing that medical treatments work for hairloss, but I haven’t actually seen too much data to back it up. Is this just something that someone is best learning to live with?
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice