Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

As previously stated on my last question with you I have had…

Customer Question
Hello Dr. Josh as previously...
Hello Dr. Josh as previously stated on my last question with you I have had issues with anxiety and depression which arose about a year ago or at least that iss when it manifested into physical symptoms. I had posted this at the bottom of our last thread but am not sure if you had seen it so I will repost here. I had written "Hi Dr. Josh I actually found this itching to be after stopping use of minoxidil which I used for 2 months for facial hair growth it was 5% topical solution twice daily and my beard grew VERY fast and I was wondering if this is a side effect of that as I also find I have a lower sex drive and yellow ish semen which I did not before and it seems like the hair on my head is continually shedding." and wanted to know if you believe that the usage could have caused my other issues such as IBS and acid reflux.Thank You in advance
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dermatologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problem

Well, Minoxidil has been reported to cause side effect- Lower sex drive and erectile dysfunction. Yes, low libido is a reported side effect of Minoxidil.

Other possible side effect with use of minoxidil are-

-scalp sensitivity

-skin dryness

-skin flaking

-irritation or burning sensation at and around the application site

-increased heart rate

As such, IBS is not related with use of Minoxidil.

Healthy semen is usually white or whitish gray in color. Sometimes urine can get left behind in the urethra.

The mixture of urine and semen may make your semen look yellow.

Also, urinary tract infection, can cause yellow semen.

Alcohol and tobacco may affect the color of your semen and cause it to temporarily turn yellow.

Some men also report a change in semen color when they eat specific foods, such as those high in sulfur, including garlic, onions, and chives.

You can use measures, for IBS as discussed in previous post, and you would get good results.

You should remain away from stress/ anxiety issue.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had used the minoxidil for 2 months and am still experiencing low sex drive- could this still be the minoxidil or should it have ceased once my usage had stopped as I had only used it briefly and while on it my sex drive was normal up until i started feeling symptoms of IBS and acid reflux. One thing that prevents my anxiety and depression from being at bay is that I feel quite sick even with my medication for acid reflux and the fact that all of this hinders me from living the way I please. I don't know what caused my anxiety but know that it is definitely strong now due to the fear that I will never feel the way I used to again.

Well, as such low sex drive should not continue for such long time. This should be further evaluated by your doctor.

At your age, severe stress/ anxiety issue can decrease sex drive.

Having Low testosterone would cause a reduced sex drive, you should get check for Testosterone levels.

Normal results usually range from 300 to 1000 ng/dL.

You also need to get LH, FSH, and prolactin levels, Thyroid hormone levels checked.

If testosterone leve is less than 300 nanograms / decileter, this would be considered low and would need treatment.

Usually the line of treatment is- one month injections, gel or patch.

Please further get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.

God bless you and take care.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I find I do not have as much of a sex drive but I do not have erectile dysfunction. Because I work in a hospital I have actually just gone downstairs and booked an appointment with Gastroenterology to have tests done. I have eaten quite healthy and avoided the foods that could cause yellow sperm but it has persisted for months without a change and after googling I fear that I may have some sort of Autoimmune disorder and this fear is what keeps me worried. As well I was born with extremely mild Cerebral palsy that is nearly unnoticeable to the naked eye due to years of persistent exercise but after dealing with that for so long I have become quite anxious as now I am worried I could be dealing with other uncurable disorders and diseases and genuinely fear for my health and lifespan

Dear,

Good to hear that you have booked appointment with Gastroenterologist.

Please stop worrying, and be relaxed. At young age, it should not be related with any serious issue.

No need to get panic. keep yourself relaxed.

You should laugh more or watch a comedy or read a funny book.

You should connect with friends and family, You can make plans to meet for dinner.

You can go for meditating and yoga, it would quiet your mind.

You can Limit your alcohol and caffeine consumption,

God bless you and take care.

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not sure what to do at this point as in attempt to have my sperm return to white-ish colour I have completely halted caffeine and alcohol intake and consistently watch comedy and play with friends but I find my mind will not allow the worry to end as my body tends to produce one thing after another and every time I am evaluated by a doctor I have a new chronic condition that I can never get rid of which continues a cycle of me feeling more hopeless

Please be relaxed.

As a Physician, I don't think you suffer from any chronic issue.

Good to hear, that you have started following healthy habits and are trying to keep yourself more bust and relaxed.

Please stop worrying and be relaxed.

You can exercise 4-5 times a week.

Thank you and take care.

If you are done,then please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you doctor, I do all of this but you don't think my acid reflux and ibs will always be there? I have even gotten a large half man half tiger tattoo a couple days ago as my first tattoo in order to remind myself to feel as strong as I used to and even my anxiety has kicked in for that even though i had wanted a tattoo for years and I think my anxiety is making me seem upset over it even though it has important meaning to me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another thing I've had issues with is premature ejaculation and was wondering how to halt that
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor