Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Over nine months ago I was infested with bird mites. In the…

Customer Question
Over nine months ago...

Over nine months ago I was infested with bird mites. In the six days it took to rid my house of the mites a sustained hundreds of bites. Te bites are still not healed and I have still have bites erupting to the skin surface with much itching. I there any treatment for this condition?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Bites have been healing for nine months. No recent significant change.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Am Type 2 diabetic that is under good control with medication, Metformin

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Dermatologist: vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 4 months ago
vakularen
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Eliminating all bird mite nests in the house and its surrounding is essential,you may need the services of a professional pest controller for this.Checking on the bedding ,which is a favourite site of mites is essential.also,eaves,cavities in walls,foundation and basement,roof spaces and repairing broken tiles will help.Use of insect repellants which contain DEET(Diethyl Toluamide) will help prevent spread of the mites.The bird mites cannot survive indoors,or on human blood ,The irritation of the saliva at the site of the bite is usually treated with antihistaminies and steroid creams.Diabetics may need the help of a dermatologist if symptoms are not settling down.