Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been draining for months. Several small boils from HS…

Customer Question
I have been draining...

I have been draining for months. Several small boils from HS wont heal, have type 2 boarderline diabetis. How can I dry up the drainage?

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

Had HS for years, have had surgery on armpits, groin twice, breasts. But my inner upper thigh had been sore and gets large lump umder skin and has drained off and on for about a year. Just a few months ago its been continuos. Been taking warm baths, and using hot compresses, but it still continues.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Skin issues since high school (35 years) had thyroid removed 2 years ago. Iam obsese. Had celluitis in same leg 8 months ago and was bad i was septic? Have mrsa too. I'm just a mess, dr doesnt know what to do for me.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Thats about it!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dermatology
3/15/2018
Dermatologist: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago
Connie Pennington

Goodness. I am Dr. Pennington. I am a surgeon. Hidradenitis suppurativa is a challenging issue, as you know. I believe I can offer some assistance. Sorry no one has responded to you, I am in the office seeing patients all day and will check back from time to time. I have found that surgery to remove the areas, plus a holistic approach offers the best healing. What i mean by this is a super clean diet, exercise, quality sleep, etc. Sometimes I do Vitamin testing and help people replace vital nutrients. If you are interested in this approach, I am happy to help.

How old are you? What medications do you take? Do you work?

I have had the surgery twice. The pain from that is worse than the suffering. The groin on a fat girl is no place to be cut open! I just have the boils which have opened, they will not heal but if I could dry them out it eould be less painfull. Also there is no room for gauze or tape that stays put in that area unless your totally imobile. I try to eat low carb and sugar. Because of diabetic.
Dermatologist: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

OK, will there are non-surgical ways to reverse disease processes. I think functional medicine does the best job with this. Mark Hyman's books are all outstanding.

Here is a link to a diet, that if followed, really turns things around.

https://p.widencdn.net/he7a5v/Elimination-Diet---Comprehensive-Guide_v6

I also add "anti-inflammatories" in the form of high quality fish oil, Vit C & D, quercetin, grapefruit extract, etc.

It takes quite a bit of planning to eat healthy, and take supplements but it makes a huge difference in inflammatory processes.

Best of luck to you.