Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I was wondering how to treat a rash I got from contact with…

I was wondering how...

I was wondering how to treat a rash I got from contact with a plant while I was hiking. The rash is a bunch of raised red bumps that started on my hands and have spread to my arms, torso, back, feet, and scalp and face. It has been going on for over a week with the redness finally dying down in my hands over the past 2 days but bumps all over my body still remain visible and red, I was wondering how to treat it to clear my skin

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Rash appeared last tuesday, so 8 days. the only change is the appearance and spreading of little red dots

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have no allergies and this is the first time this has happened to me

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

I have attached the following images to show the progression of the rash

Got them--hold on please

Have you tried anything to treat that so far?

I have been taking 1 Benadryl tablet a day for the past 3 days to relieve itching and baking soda bath to stop the itching

It's obviously an allergic dermatitis

I'd suggest for now you switch to oral Claritin or Zyrtec and use over the counter Caladryl lotion topically

But if that doesn't clear it up in about three days you'll need a course of oral prednisone from your doctor

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you I appreciate your timely response

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice