Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a punch biopsy exactly a week ago at the

I had a punch...

I had a punch biopsy exactly a week ago at the dermatologist. It was for a mole on the side of ball of my foot. It has 2 stitches that’ll be removed next week. I’ve never had a punch biopsy before. The wound looks dry and clean and doesn’t feel hot but it’s very very painful. Big toe joint hurts too (it’s close to the biopsy site so could be referred). Is this usual to still be in pain. I wasn’t warned what to expect as biopsy was a last minute decision and happened very quickly. I’ve just used over the counter painkillers

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been using the medication? Any improvements so far?

Since last Thursday. Between Panadol Rapid and Nuromel - I try to avoid aspirin based meds though because my stomach can’t handle them. So far the Nuromel hasn’t upset it. I’ve been walking around on it more and more because I’ve been so busy but I don’t know if the pains getting better. As soon as I put pressure on foot the pain kicks in and then aches for rest of day. It’s a bruised type of pain

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides for this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Apart from GERD I also am treated for Bipolar 2 with Lamictal 200mg and take Valium when I need it. Been under a lot of stress lately with sick children

3/14/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

If you have been walking around, then yes, it is normal for pain to occur for a week after a biopsy . Walking will cause the incision line on the skin to get pulled and cause pain Ideally, you should rest for at least 5-7 days to allow healing.

Continued use may prevent early healing.

If the wound is clean and dry and is not hot, it is not infected

Please rest your leg at least 3 days from now to allow for the site to heal.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Thank you - I really appreciate your advice as I was starting to worry and my life has been so frantically busy I haven’t had a chance to even make an appointment to see a doctor or sit down. I will use your advice to get more help from my family - thank you

You are welcome.

Please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar