Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 15 years old, and I have no idea whats causing my acne.

I'm 15 years old...

I'm 15 years old, and I have no idea whats causing my acne. Neither of my parents had acne growing up, but my older siblings did. I have little bumps all over my forehead, they dont have heads and they're really small. On my cheeks are the worst. They're red and under the skin and leave scars when they leave. When they come up from under the skin they're blotchy and take a long time to go away. Then new ones will appear. My cheeks have never cleared. I've tried so many skincare products, regular soap, and dove, but nothing is working. I don't have acne on any other part of my face except my cheeks and forehead. I drink plenty of water and stick to a routine. I live on a tropical island, so the climate is hot and humid, i dont know if that has anything to do with it, but i'm letting you know anyway. I dont know what else to do . Help please

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

Since i was around 13. And yes i have blackheads on my nose that won't go away.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't have any allergies or medical issues. Just bad acne

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Do you have pus/discharge in this acne?

Are the acne painful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Some of the pimples have pus and discharge. And yes when they are touched they're sore. They also itch sometimes , i dont know if thats normal.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The exact cause of acne is still not known.

Acne results from a combination of three things: overproduction of sebum, a clogged pore and bacteria.

Hormonal changes are an important factor that results in these acne.

For pimples,the aim of treatment is to prevent new spots forming,to improve those already present, and to prevent scarring.Apply ointment containing bezoyl peroxide like clearasil Max.It has antibacterial effects and can dry out the skin and encourage it to shed the surface layer of dead skin.It is available as over the counter.

Other treatment includes topical retinoids (eg Adapalene),topical antibiotic lotion,oral antibiotics,oral retinoid like isotretinoin (eg Roaccutane) may be prescribed by the doctor

Please do not worry. These acne are extremely common in teenagers. Please apply ointment containing bezoyl peroxide like clearasil Max. It is available at your pharmacy as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

If still after this,the acne symptoms persists,then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications like antibiotics & other medications as described above will then be required accordingly.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor