Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a nervous habit of picking and my skin is growing…

Customer Question
I have a nervous...

I have a nervous habit of picking and my skin is growing back looking like texture like cloth it is weird

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

When I was a child it was a nervous habit and as I got older I was so busy I had stopped but it came back with my fibromyalgia my skin is drier and when I don't realize it is itchy and I have clawed a hole and keep picking at the scabs/ I guess the past 10 years or so I had a doctor tell me I should get it looked at back then I just didn't and now I am worried

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My skin is very fair and I was an almost red headed child with freckles and I was always broken out in rashes and I was sunburned badly every summer as a child allergic to everything that touched me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dermatologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
my nails are getting very ridged not like a couple years ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cannot afford $50

Constant irritation from scratching can cause scar tissue to form which can become "textured". However, if the area does not heal completely, then it does need to be evaluated by your doctor or a Dermatologist to make sure it is not the beginning of skin cancer. Nail ridges can be caused by many problems such as vitamin deficiencies, viral illness.

You can ignore the request for "Premium Service" and we can continue by texting.

Your doctor can perform blood tests and determine if you have a need for vitamin supplementation. Try using a skin moisturizer to help reduce itching and "need to pick/scratch". You may also benefit from a short use of anti-depression medicine and talk therapy with a Psychologist. Discuss getting a referral to a Psychologist which may be of significant benefit to you.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I certainly hope you don't charge me $50 because I do't have that kind of money to pay thatmuch for a few words and I have 5 doctors I have MS COPD, GERD, IBS, fibromyalgia, Panic anxiety and depression and take both vitamins and an antidepressant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just feel cheated by the experience so please don't take my money
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor