Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Why am I losing my hair I’m only 27 years old..?

3/13/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The hair loss can be due to;

a) Presence of systemic disease like thyroid, iron deficiency, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis.

b) Recent psychologic or physical stress

c) Medication or chemical exposure

So you doctor need to do the blood work for above systemic diseases and also do the following tests;

1) Hair Pluck -Trichogram

2) Hair growth window

3) Hair pull test

4) Hair shaft examination (Clip test)

Severe emotional and physical traumas have been documented to cause diffuse hair loss. Hair loss has been reported to occur 2 weeks after severe psychologic or physical trauma. Chronic telogen effluvium (CTE) refers to a diffuse hair loss all over the scalp and persists for more than 8 months. People present with hair loss with increased shedding and thinning of abrupt onset and fluctuating course. There is diffuse thinning all over the scalp. The causes can be;

1) Crash diet (inadequate proteins)

2) Drugs; coumadin propranolol, heparin, vitamin A

3) Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidisms

4) Severe illness

5) Physical stress like surgery

6) Psychological stress.

The treatment of hair loss is treatment of the cause and 5% minoxidil solution.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon