Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have these red dots along my bikini line. They aren't

Customer Question
I have these red dots...
I have these red dots along my bikini line. They aren't raised and don't itch or hurt. They kind of come and go and seem to get better with some Neosporin
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
3/12/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. The appearance of the dots in the pictures is most consistent with folliculitis which is a condition in which there is inflammation or infection of the hair follicles in the region. This can develop frequently in regions which are damp or are irritated the most, such as the bikini line. Usually, this can be prevented by keeping the area clean and avoiding dampness to settle in the area. This would be treated with the topical Neosporin in most cases which is enough.

The second possibility is that this could be due to a low-grade fungal infection which tends to develop in these regions as well. This would be diagnosed by a close clinical examination and then can be treated with topical antifungal medications.

Using OTC antihistamines like Zyrtec or Claritin would also be helpful in this situation.

However, this does look like folliculitis. If you have another picture which is less blurry I would be happy to evaluate that one for you as well.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor