Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have red around lip, lip inflamed few small blisters in…

Customer Question
Hello i have red...

Hello i have red around lip, lip inflamed few small blisters in the corner of the mouth

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

Swelling in the lip

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, this actually started 3 months ago, by having 1 cold sore on the corner of the upper lip then i applied fucicort and fuciddin for several times then the blister disappeared, it appeared again after few days, i applied the same creams and i applied zovirax. then i applied polysporine into my whole lip and around the lip, few days later i noticed that the lip became inflamed and itchy with burning sensation. also the chin became itchy , around the nose feeling itchy ,and i have been taking zovirax pills , applying pottassium permanganate and accyclovir cream but no changes , sometimes i feel no pain but then i start to feel the lip itchy more reddish and burning

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dermatology
sometimes i have mettalic taste
this is how it looks i can see small bumps in the upper lip
3/12/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 4 months ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you have fever ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

sometimes I feel that i have fever

Do you have history of allergies to anything in the past ?

Do these spots increase on exposure to medications , sunlight ?

Do they disappear and then reappear after many weeks or months again ?

i have no.experience.with allergies, but i used to have dry lips.for.msny times, this happend. 3 months ago.nevrr happened before.but i noticed that it appears more sometimes and sometimes it appers more on 1 side but almost available all the time since 2 months

Thank you for the information provided.

Have you done any herpes simplex virus antibody test for serum IgM and IgG for HSV 1 and HSV 2 ?

It is very essential as the symptoms you have mimic a recurrent and relapsing herpes simplex infection. If so , it would be essential to rule out the level of antibodies.

The dose for the anti viral like Valaciclovir can be adjusted depending on the levels of clinical reaction and blood work up mentioned above.

Do they come up only when you get fever ?

i applied Vaseline lip therapy and it feels me.burning and itchyi don't understand what you just said abiut test csn you provide me with more details
no i always have inflamed swollen lip for 3 months , many times i have sore throat , i have girlfriend and she doesn't have and she did not get herpes,
i have nothing on genitals, only inflamed lip spesically the borders and very small blisters on the corner of the mouth , more on the left side

Thank you for your reply.

The blood tests I have mentioned , Indicate the level of reaction the body has had to the virus called herpes simplex virus. The medications are directed accordingly depending on the level of infection. Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1&2 (HSV-1&2) in the blood using the Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) test. This type-specific HSV-1&2 blood test looks for antibodies to the HSV-1&2 virus in the bloodstream. This test is highly sensitive and will only detect the presence of HSV-1&2 antibodies.

We need to rule it out as the symptoms you are presenting with irritation and burning are similar.

If the tests are negative , this rules out a viral infection and hence you would need to treat the hypersensitive lip inflammation.( Diagnosis: Atopic Cheilitis )

You should apply Pimecrolimus cream or Protopic ointment on the lip area which is a non steroidal anti inflammatory medication to treat the condition.

You would need to apply it for a few weeks to reduce this chronic inflammation you have .

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

but if the problem.started when i started to kiss my girlfriend ( she doesn't have herpes) also when i kiss her now she doesn't get cold sore or any blisters but the salive i get from the kisses adds more pain , also zovirax and other medicine for hsv doesnt help, i will do the test but i just need your opinion about this,

So it can be an atopic condition called cheilitis which I have mentioned above.

Doesn't seem much like herpes infection.

Go ahead with the test and till then you can apply Sebamed Lip cream OTC and clean the area with Cetaphil cleansing lotion

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?

can you tell me the test name?
also do you have any idea why i have burning sensation when i put vasleine therapy? do i have to stop it
also is atopic chielitis std?
also is this curable?

Test name: herpes Simplex virus antibody test for HSV1 and HSV2 : IgG & IgM

Burning sensation to Vaseline can be seen in Atopic Cheilitis when the barrier of the skin is dysfunctional.

No , Atopic Cheilitis is not an STD! It is a form of an Eczema.

This is curable . Do not worry

but in case of atopic chilitis , do i have to avoid certain food or drinks? do i have to stop Vaseline ? do i have to take any moisturizer? can i shave my beard? what medicine do you recommend

You need to stop Vaseline

You can use Sebamed or Neutrogena Lip creams which have ingredients in them that will help in improving the skin barrier.

You can shave your beard . No problem.

The above medication is what I recommend.