Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I got a tattoo a few days ago and I'm afraid it might be…

I got a tattoo a...
I got a tattoo a few days ago and I'm afraid it might be infected. I was told not to let it be exposed to the sun but I forgot and now it burns. The burning sensation went away for a while but then when I cleaned it and put some more ointment on it, it began to burn again.
3/12/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Does it burn or pain when you touch it?

Is the area around it swollen?

No it doesn't burn or hurt when I touch it. It actually kinda makes te burning go away when I touch it. I don't think it's swollen. It feels like if it were a sun burn

Thank you for your reply.

It is normal for burning sensation to occur over a new tattoo - this occurs due to inflammation of the skin and is part of the normal healing process. if the skin does not pain when you press on it, then there is no infection.

Please apply the aftercare lotion you were advised after the tattooo.

The burning sensation can remain for about 7-10 days after the tattoo.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

it when I wash the tattoo and apply a new coat of ointment it begins to burn and later stops burning. Then I wash it again and apply the ointment again it begins to burn. Your saying that's normal correct?

Yes, when you wash it, the skin, which is already inflamed (which is normal), gets irritated and burns. Application of teh ointment soothes it and the burning stops. This is normal. If there had been an infection, the burning would not have stopped burning at nay time, but would have increased gradually over time.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
the burning would not stop if it was infected but if it burns for a while after applying the ointment its fine right?

Yes, that is right.

Alright, and also I feel a little burning sensation up my arm. Normal?

The burning sensation should not radiate up the arm - it is not normal.

Please consult a doctor for an examination.