Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Have these really dark marks on my forehead. They are only…

Customer Question
Hi have these really dark...
Hi have these really dark marks on my forehead. They are only on the sides. Is it hyperpigmentation or melasma? I used hydro qui one 4% for 5 days and it gave me side effects like burning skin. I stopped using it but after that I noticed the spots got even more darker. Please help me. I am getting married in a couple of months and would like to get rid of these spots. See the pics below
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
3/12/2018
Dermatologist: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello, this is not melasma. This is just hyper pigmentation and Mederma cream will work excellently for it.

You need to apply it thrice a day for 4 weeks.

This is not a prescription drug and I have got excellent results for many of my patients with this.

You can buy it online - I am providing a link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Mederma-Advanced-Scar-Gel-Recommended/dp/B000052YOB?th=1

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How effective is mederma cream. Will I can results in a month? Also I am planning to use cardamom skin whitening soap. What do you think?
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

I see that you have requested a new expert so ill quickly answer this question for you.

Actually, i would agree with the previous expert that this is not melasma but rather hyperpigmentation. This can be due to a previous skin issue or various other causes however it can be treated with the use of various medications.

Regarding mederma, use it does work extremely well for some patients and usually you can see the results within 4-6 weeks. The time frame may vary for each patient but usually, you should start to see some improvement after 4 weeks, it won't completely disappear but will lighten to some extent.

The cardamom skin whitening soap can also be used at the same time, which can help in reducing the skin pigmentation but not very significantly. However, it can certainly be tried.

But the recommended medical products to reduce this sort of pigmentation include the following creams,

• Kojic acid. This acid is derived from a fungus and works well in situations like these
  • Azelaic acid. Developed to treat acne, this has been found to be an effective treatment for hyperpigmentation as well.
  • Mandelic acid. Derived from almonds, this type of acid is used to treat all types of hyperpigmentation.

OTC skin lightening creams can be used and there are various products but you should use products which contain the following ingredients,

cysteamine, hydroquinone, soy milk, cucumber, kojic acid, calcium, azelaic acid, or arbutin. Or even a product which contains, Retin-A or alpha-hydroxy acids.

But in some patients who don't respond to any of the above treatments, laser treatment is the only option. Laser treatment is an EXTREMELY effective form of management of these spots and usually, a few sessions causes them to disappear completely. There are various types including intense pulse therapy (IPL), fractional laser resurfacing (FLR) or even microdermabrasion.

But I would suggest the mederma and the cardamom soap and see if that helps if it does not then move on to the next medications which I have highlighted above.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I directly go with laser treatment? How many sessions do I need to get maximum output

Sorry for the late response but I was offline,

You can go for the laser treatment, the exact number of sessions would depend on your response to the treatment. Some patients require only 3-4 sessions while others may need 6-8 sessions. It all depends on how well your hyperpigmentation responds to the treatment.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is meredam safe? I used hydroquione for 5 days and it really burnt me. And now my forehead has become even more darker. So I will use meradam before bed. Also will use cardamom skin whitening once a day and I’m planning to add lemon scrub on my face. How is the treatment plan? I’d it safe to go this way? Also I am drinking apple, beetroot, carrot juice

Mederma is safe, it does not contain a drug like hydroquinone that you used. So it should not cause burning etc.

Your treatment plan is fine and safe however if it does not work then you should consider the options which I have mentioned above. The plan that you are using will take quite some time to show results, usually 4-6 weeks so you will be in it for the long haul.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which laser treatment is more effective? Which one do you suggest?

That would be best decided by your dermatologist after evaluating you in person because a number of factors have to be looked at before deciding which one to use such as skin type, nature of the hyperpigmentation etc. But usually IPL has good results.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I made a mistake and I’m scared doctor. I scrubbed my forehead with pumice bar and now it’s burning. I see red color on my forehead. I am worried that it will make my forehead even darker. What should I do?
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

you should not scrub with a pumice bar

this will not help

local inflammation will only worsen skin hyperpigmentation

you should use the mederma anti scar cream

you can also try skin whiting creams

you can also try taking glutathione supplements which can help ligthen your skin

and you should see a skin doctor to talk about skin laser treatment.

every skin laser treatment is different and your response will depend on what happens for you.

http://www.ijdvl.com/article.asp?issn=0378-6323;year=2016;volume=82;issue=3;spage=262;epage=272;aulast=Sonthalia

is a medical article about glutathione

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I apply mederma cream now?

yes, you can apply mederma cream now.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician