Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve had a rash on my vulva region for 2 weeks. I went to my…

I’ve had a rash on...
I’ve had a rash on my vulva region for 2 weeks. I went to my gynecologist who said it did not appear to be herpes. I am wondering if it is related to my waxing. Can folliculitis last that long? Also do ulcers associated with folliculitis burst or break?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

Of course
Let me know if you need a better one

Got them--hold on please

Not herpes or genital warts or any STD of any kind

It definitely is folliculitis and it could be due to waxing

But nothing serious--topical Neosporin twice a day for two weeks should clear it up

Please let me know if you need any more information

It’s been over 2 weeks and it’s still looks like that. It’s getting better very slowly. Some of the ulcers have broken/burst. Is that normal? Additionally, I was putting cortisone cream on. Should I just put neosporne on or ask for a oral antibiotic?
I am currently taking solumedrol for my MS with 2 more days to go. Will that effect my healing time?

That's normal with a significant patch of folliculitis

The cortisone cream actually can make it worse since it is an infection

Try the Neosporin for a week and if that doesn't clear it up you'll need a course of oral antibiotics

The solumedrol won't affect the healing

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Do you think I should continue to refrain from sex until it is fully healed?
Or will it not agitate/impact healing?

Sex won't impact the healing

Thanks

My pleasure

I went to the dermatologist today and she said she believes it’s herpes and prescribed valtrex. She did a swab for bacteria at my request. I am confused why she immediately thought herpes when my gynecologist did not.
I am trying to better understand what I should do next. How long will it take for the valtrex to clear the rash if it is herpes

It would take about 5 days for the Valtrex to work if it were herpes