Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I can ask you a question about a vaginal condition? I had…

Hi I can ask...

Hi I can ask you a question about a vaginal condition?

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

I had sex with a first time partner who was tested and was negative on everything. I noticed 3 days after I was swollen, itchy and red on the labia minora..i put yogurt on it and I noticed tiny white bumps, which seem to have gone away, but I'm still itchy. There are no gynocologidtd open today so I'm wondering if this is a vaginal infection? I took duflucan two days ago and it doesn't seem the have helped.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

About 3 days now. I went to the gyno a couple weeks ago and she said I had a tiny amount of bacterial vaginosis but that the body usually fights it off so she didn't give me anything. I also had a uti which she gave me antibiotics for

3/11/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Did you see the tests?

or were you told the tests were negative?

I called the clinic and he was negative. He did have oral herpes, simplex 1, but this is very common and there was no oral to genital contact

The clinic gave you someone elses information?

that is illegal

No, it's a number with a pin and he gave me the pin. It was automated

Oh ok. PHew!

Yes, I think you have vaginitis

it is a vaginal infection not an STI but just an infection

This can happen just like an infection of the skin or sinuses

same principal

That's what I think. I noticed that in the crease of the clitoris there are white bumps underneath the skin, just a few of them. And I'm very itchy in that area around the clitoris which is also swollen.
Also, when we had sex I noticed that I had a thick white discharge that I hadn't noticed before.
I also have no pain during urination

Ok.

You need to go to urgent care and get some medicine

What can i do to alleviate the symptoms before i see a doctor, and how is this cured?

Do you feel comfortable sending a picture?

Not really. It's just sore and swollen, red. I have no blisters, the bumps could have been a reaction to the yogurt. But I'm not sure. Can vaginosis cause white bumps?

Ok.

yes, vaginosis can cause that

I think you need an exam though to be sure

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Can it also cause a whitish patch underneath the vagina? Or is this maybe from the yogurt?

It could be both!

but yes it can

Ok, so this is definitely not herpes.
Even though he doesn't have it. I'm just a hypochondriac. I heard herpes is extrenely painful.

I don't think so

I can't be sure without seeing it but it doesn't sound like it

Ok, thank you. The only clinic that is open for this does not have a gynocoloist on staff, they are assistants, but they said they can look for infection. Wondering if this is a good idea
that is
Also, one more question. Why all of a sudden after sex would the bacterial infection become bad? If i had the infection why wasn't I itching and swollen before sex?

The sexual activity causes tissue tears that allow entry of bacteria

Ok, thank you.

welcome :)

Thanks for this question.

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor