Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been waking up with dry, red burn-like areas on my face…

Hello, I've been waking...

Hello, I've been waking up with dry, red burn-like areas on my face randomly for the past few years

Doctor's Assistant: When did the redness first appear? Have you used any medication for this?

No medication, and it appears around my nose and mouth every winter. A new area appeared this morning.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dermatologist about the redness?

Not yet

3/11/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

I just took 2 photos

Got them--hold on please

How long does that last?

The second photo is of the one that appeared this morning, these typically last anywhere from 2-4 months
The ones that appear on the smile line s typically last the longest

What you've got there is a type of cold urticaria--sort of an allergic skin reaction that usually only occurs during the winter months

Nothing all that serious but you can treat it with daily Claritin or Zyrtec and, while it's present, over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you so much

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice