Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I broke out with what my pcp n urgent care doctors called…

I broke out with...

I broke out with what my pcp n urgent care doctors called stress hives. Prednisone oral didn’t help. She prescribed a steroid ointment and now the hives are worse all over n spreadind. It’s been almost 3 weeks. I am sooo miserable What can I do

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been using Prednisone? Any improvements so far?

Oral 7 days

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides Prednisone for this?

She prescribed an steroid ointment

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No overall I’m healthy overactive thyroids that’s it

3/10/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

I sent it
That’s my back the old ones from last week and the new ones developing

Got it--hold on please

what’s your opinion

That's not hives and the steroid ointment could make this worse

That's fungal--not exactly ringworm but a close cousin. No specific trigger for it

I suggest you try over the counter clotrimazole cream twice a day for two weeks to clear this up.

If that doesn't work you'd need prescription ketoconazole cream or oral Diflucan

Please let me know if you need ant more information

I’ll try the cream. Thanks

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice