Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a red pimply rash on my surgical leg which seems to…

I have a red pimply...
I have a red pimply rash on my surgical leg which seems to be spreading up and down my leg. It started on my knee. It is very itchy and I have been using Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream. I began having this rash 5 days ago. 10 days ago, I had been treated for a vaginal infection with two fluconazole pills. Before that, I had been experiencing itchy skin with on my hands and feet but no rash 21 days ago. Could this be related to Candida and can I know for sure?
I also have a rash on my lower abdomen.
I had my total knee replacement 26days ago.
3/10/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

I added photos.

Got them--hold on please

One question--did you have chickenpox as a child?

This isn't a fungal/yeast rash

I looks like a classical shingles outbreak and one can only get that if one has had chickenpox in the past

For now topical over the counter capsaicin cream can help with it

But I suggest you let your doctor look at it so he can give you a prescription for oral acyclovir that will treat it quickly

Please let me know if you need any more information

Can shingles be present without pain?

They can definitely itch and not be extremely painful

Ok. Do you think that I can wait until Monday to see a doctor or should I go to the emergency room?

No need for the ER--Monday is fine

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice