Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Chip. here. Wanted you to take a look at this mole on my…

Hi Dr. Chip. Josh here...
Hi Dr. Chip. Josh here. Wanted you to take a look at this mole on my back. It’s smaller than a pea in terms of diameter.
3/8/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hey guy

Is that completely flat?

And how long have you had it?

I think it’s slightly raised. And no telling how long I have had it. It’s on a part of my back that is hard to see. Just noticed it today. But it could have been there for forever as far as I know.

It looks like a totally benign freckle or perhaps a nearly flat compound nevus

One color with smooth edges

But my proviso in a case like this is that you have your doctor take a look at it since all I can do is go by the photos Josh

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Ok. I think it’s definitely a mole. But I worried about the fact that it’s darker on the right side than the left. Will have my Doctor take a look. Thank you.

I'm sure it's benign my friend

Thank you Dr. Chip.

Anytime my friend

Just curious. What will my doctor be looking for that is not evident in the pictures?

Nothing really except maybe actually touch it

I'm just always obligated to tell people to have their doctor look

Got you. And that makes sense. Is that because it’s possibly a mole rather than a for sure freckle?

Exactly

Thanks. Should I just go to a dermatologist or would my primary care physician be able to tell me?

Your PCP is fine

Thank you. One more. My PCP has a PA that can sometimes be a day or two quicker to get into. Would a PA be able to evaluate it or is it better to wait a couple days to get into my PCP?

The PA would be fine

Thank you. So a PA has enough training to tell if it is benign or whether to get it checked by a dermatologist?

Exactly

But you think it’s totally benign but have to qualify/proviso that diagnosis because it might be a mole and any mole you are required by Just Answer to qualify/proviso?

Not a JA requirement--just my own method

I simply would never not tell a customer to have their doctor look at it

Unless it were for sure an obvious freckle or something else harmless?

Even then I'd still tell them to have their doctor look at it

I just asked that because there have been some freckles in the past you mentioned there was no need to get checked by my Dr. or dermatologist. (Don’t mean that confrontationally just more for comfort about what you’ve helped me with previously.). Thank you my friend.

Then my bad in those past times Josh

It's just my principle to end with have your doctor check it out

Not your bad at all. You are great at what you do and have given me great comfort with things I truly needed it for. Don’t ever want to lose that candor with you, my friend.

Glad to help you out Josh

One last question about the mole itself, is it considered one color if there are different shades of the same color within the same mole? Like if it’s tan but part of it is more tan? Or is it best to all be the same shade of tan? I understand if part of it is brown and part of it is skin toned then that’s two different colors which can be a red flag but what I’m asking is whether various shades of the same color can also be a red flag.

Various shades of the same color isn't a red flag

Thank you. That’s comforting. That was what I was most worried about with this mole.

Nite Josh