Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been dealing with light acne since i was 14 i am now…

Customer Question
Hello, i have been dealing...
Hello, i have been dealing with light acne since i was 14 i am now 20, lately i started breaking out more, i have never had this many pimples on my face before, what can i do? :(
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dermatology
3/8/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. It is not uncommon to experience flare ups of acne until a person is in his or her late 20s. This is often due to hormonal changes, stress, dietary changes, etc. It is typically treatable with several weeks to months of antibiotics orally (e.g. doxycycline, septra) and topical agents that dry out the pores such as benzoyl peroxide, tazorac, retin-A, or clindamycin gel.

Ahhh okay, my be my stress in school. Quick question i have heard that tea tree oil is good for pimples, is it true?
Do i need a prescription for the oral antibiotics?

That is hit-or-miss. It may dry out the pores or plug them up. I would stay away from oils in general. Benzoyl peroxide is available otc and is a good place to start. The oral antibiotics, retin-A and clinda all require a prescription. If conservative measures fail, Accutane is an extremely reliable medication, but requires careful supervison by a dermatologist.

Does this make sense? Do you have any follow up questions?

thank you