Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been itching a lot down there, it usually starts a…

Customer Question
I have been itching a...
I have been itching a lot down there , it usually starts a few days after my period is over , and keeps on coming and going . I went to obgyn twice , they checked for yeast and it was negative , there are no signs on the skin , went to dermatologist , she said there is nothing on the skin , everything looks fine , and suggested to take probiyotics , which I do 2 a day (natural probiyotic pills ) , but it still comes and goes . I use aquafore to calm the area , it helps a bit but not always ( I notice that with the change of the weather my hand and legs also itch a bit ,and I think it's from dryness but I don't feel I'm dry down there .....please advice ...
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dermatology
3/8/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

What you're describing - pelvic itching - is a common condition in women. There are certain medical groups dedicated to these itch patterns. We hear it commonly enough from women right around their periods to the point that it can feel as though they have a yeast infection. It could be due to several things. Menses can increase histamine levels which can cause itching all over especially in the genital area and the neck or torso.

Also, around your period your diet might change so dietary factors should also be considered. Finally, if you are using any feminine products then an allergy related to those could be considered. We sometimes have women switching to washable reusable cotton products or Diva cups or something similar.

The histamine issue could be alleviated with taking either over the counter zyrtec 10mg twice daily or a prescription medication called montelukast.

it happens a few days after my period , during the period i'm totally fine . do you think it's hormonal ? what's this medicine you are suggesting for ? to take away the itchiness or to treat ?

It could be hormonal - a delayed response is common when it's a histamine reaction which is often a hormonal response. The medicine is an antihistamine. Since the symptom you are having is the itching then yes, the medicine would treat the itchiness.