Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

This is my story of a recurring rash I have on my penis.

Customer Question
Three months ago I was...
this is my story of a recurring rash I have on my penis. Three months ago I was attempting to fade a broken blood vessel on my penis glans through leaving coconut oil on my penis under my foreskin and not washing it for a few days (trying to allow vessel to heal- silly logic I know). Then from the non allowance of cleaning, a small red patch appeared and I assumed it was a yeast infection so I immediately applied yogurt onto it - which did not work. Since then, I became anxious and tried to remedy the situation through applying hylauronic acid and vitamin c serums (over the course of a few days). I stopped after a few days and finally saw a Dr. She prescribed 5 days of Hypocortisone/ Anti fungal cream (Hydrozole). This did not work and now my rash remains. My Dr ran tests and found 0 traces of fungal or bacterial culture from the swab test she did. What could the rash be? Also i am STI free.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 5 months ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you have a lot of itching on the area?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

No itching

This looks like a non infectious rash

Something that we call Psoriasiform Dermatitis. This can be associated with persistent rash as we can observe.

I would suggest you to apply ELIDEL cream on the area which is 1 % Pimecrolimus . This can be applied twice a day for 15 days and will help in reducing the irritation on the penis skin and glans.

Yogurt, hyaluronic acid, Vitamin C will not work for this condition.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

In addition to the above cream you should apply a Oat based moisturizer daily like Aveeno Skin repair cream and clean the area with Sebamed Olive wash.

Psoriasiform Dermatitis ? That sound really scary. Will my glans ever return to normal? Should I be seeing a dermatologist about this

Yes , you should be seeing a Dermatologist for this who would prescribe you Elidel as I have mentioned and you condition will go away totally after persistent application of the same product.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Have you seen the effects been reversed before?

Yes , the effects can reverse over a period of time of application of the creams

Regards

Dr Pravin

I think I'd like a second opinion , just to be sure
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

you should clean your penis under the foreskin daily

you need to stop putting creams and serums on your penis.

this is what is most likely irritating your skin and causing the rash

there is nothing wrong with your penis skin

it sounds like you are letting your anxiety symptoms get out of control here.

hi Dr David, yes I only put the creams and serums on for a few days , and that was months ago. I wouldn't be anxious if the rash left on it's own after months but it has not, causing me to be worried .

the penis head looks normal in color. I don't see where you think there is a rash.