Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My 14 year old daughter has been putting lip balm on her…

Hello, my 14 year...

Hello, my 14 year old daughter has been putting lip balm on her lips. She has a habit of licking her lips and they get very chapped. She now has red bumps all around her lips and is very red all around her lips. She has stopped using the lip balm. do you know what could help get rid of the red bumps?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the bumps better or worse?

She has had the dry lips from licking them for approx a year. The bumps and redness around the lips have just appeared. It is bad enough that she doesn't want to go to school.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. she is healthy. no issues

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Sounds like a kind of allergic reaction here

Nothing too serious

For now I'd suggest ice, no lip balm or anything on her lips, and either benadryl or Claritin orally

That should clear this up in a day or two

Please let me know if you need any more information

i don't think it is an allergic reaction as she has been using this lip balm for a long time. Her lips were very chapped and she kept applying a lot of lip balm. Perhaps her skin around her lips is infected? I was wondering about polysporin or cortisone cream?

In that case I'd go with the cortisone cream--this really doesn't sound like an infection

what could i expect the cortisone cream to do?

Reduce the obvious inflammation which I still think is an allergic reaction--it doesn't have to be from the lip balm. Sometimes it from new soaps, detergents, foods, etc but many times we never determine the trigger

ok. She has stopped putting the lip balm on that she was using. Her lips are so dry she needs to put something on them.

Then she can use aloe vera cream or Eucerin

ok. Thank you.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
not sure I received a 5 star response but I will.

Call on me anytime

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice