Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have a about 3/4x1 cm skin avulsion on my shin it is now…

I have a about 3/4x1...
I have a about 3/4x1 cm skin avulsion on my shin it is now about 3weeks old and having trouble getting it healed. It was infected but Cephalexin cleared it up. I am keeping it covered with bandades and using Silver Nitrate gel. I am allergic to Neomycin and Bactine and when I tried just Vaseline it developed some pus and looked like infection was returning so went back to silver nitrate gel. I soak it 2-3 times a day and if it looks gunky clean with Chlorhexidine. I stopped soaks and covered just with gauze but got setback with that also. Looks like it did a couple of days after injury.
Is Silver Nitrate impairing healing?
What else should I do? The area really looks clean. Just not healing.
1/21/2018
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Please post a picture here?

Are you diabetic?

What are your present medications?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will post a picture in a few minutes. Just wrapped it up for a shower. I am not diabetic but am on meds for GERD an am asthmatic on Breo 200/25, albuteral and Montelukast. Not on now but have in past had to take oral steroids many times. So my skin is thin and frail.

Okay, no problem. Take your time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is the photo

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am traveling for the winter in my RV with my wife. Thus it is not possible to go to my usual MD. The antibiotic came from a Urgent are but I am not in the same area now.

This is looking pretty good. Do not apply Silver nitrate now.

Just cleaning it with Betadine solution ((over the counter) twice or thrice a day and keeping it open (instead of applying a dressing), will dry it and heal it in a week.

This does not look infected.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried not putting anything on it. Just covered with gauze. After 3 days the scap center turned whitish and had pus under it. This is the third day since that occurred. Really think I should try again already?

Betadine solution would keep it clean and prevent any infection or prevent pus formation.

That should be able to heal.

Avoid cream or ointment which may act as foreign body and may hinder in healing.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon