Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I noticed a bump in my private area. No itching. I didn't…

Customer Question
I noticed a bump...

I noticed a bump in my private area

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

No itching. I didn't even know it was there and it wasn't there a day ago. I was washing and saw it. It popped when I touched it. Blood came out

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Had a respiratory infection last week. Still on antibiotics

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I also have really sore bumps on my scalp. And breaking out in tiny little white heads around my mouth,chin,and under nose

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed an infection of the hair follicle on the area. This is known as folliculitis. It can occur because of bacterial infections and usually mild cases require no treatment beyond application of topical neosporin on the area. If the area becomes red, swollen or you start developing more of these bumps then oral antibiotics may be necessary for a period of 5 to 7 days.
There are other causes for the symptoms that you have described but i will need more information to consider those like do you have any history of unprotected intercourse and i will also need a picture of the bump to confirm the diagnosis. If you can upload it I would be happy to review it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can upload a picture. And what about scalp and around my face. I have had unprotected sex within the last month

Thanks for the picture,

Yes this does seem like folliculitis given its nature and appearance, it should subside within a week or so with the use of OTC neosporin. The current appearance is not suggestive of any STD at the moment.

Regarding the face and scalp, can you upload a picture of those areas as well, that will give me a better idea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I have been have extreme hair loss for the past 6 months. Tons of it. Lost 70 pounds this year. Had to get back on anxiety meds. Am not iron deficient. Trying to think of things that might help

These additional bumps can be due to a couple of issues including hormonal imbalances or even an endocrinological disorder such as a thyroid disorder. A thyroid disorder would explain the weight loss as well as the weight loss. This can be diagnosed with a simple blood test like thyroid function tests. Another cause of these bumps could be mild acne which can cause this issue as well. It would be diagnosed with a simple clinical examination and use of antibiotics or topical application of medications. You can try using OTC hydrocortisone on the bumps on the face and see if that helps but I would suggest having this evaluated at least once by visiting your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor