Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My scalp has been issue for 3 years. I have been to 3

My scalp has been...

My scalp has been issue for 3 years. I have been to 3 Dermatologists (I at the Eastern Virginia Medical School). They took samples and results came back as normal. My scalp is peppered with pimple like lesions. Some said it is Folliculitis & at the same time I have been trying to clear up very bad acne that has spread from one side of chest and continued to spread to other side of chest, lower jaw, shoulders. All of this started with the initial chest outbreak. I haven't used a brush on my scalp because it would likely make the suffering scalp worse. My hair after just 2 days looks like I have washed my hair with baby oil. I have extremely sensitive skin .. cannot use moisturizers. I do have Rosacea but it is not acting up. I cannot use steroids of any kind ... allergic found this out when being treated for my MS. The last dermatologist insisted I take Rx with steroids and I ended up in ICU with blood clots in thigh, abdomen & both lungs. I don't remember the Rx he gave me. I am desperate to get all of this corrected as it has caused scarring and I am very limited in what I can do. I have been on 3 strong antibiotics and the problem continues.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

This has been going on for a full 3 years .. my skin was clear and no scalp issues until 3 medium size pimples appeared on my right chest. They did not have white heads ... when I pushed on them they hurt and later started to itch. they were placed like a triangle about inch apart. there is scarring there now with a white ring around the sites

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than my blood clot issues ... Oh, the Rx the doctor put me on for 14 days was Prednizone . I have been ICU twice for severe blood clots in right leg, thigh abdomen & both lungs and they were huge. Now I have to give myself an injection of Arixtra every morning.

1/17/2018
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

I have no way to provide photo though a former dermatologist took one (I THINK) I have memory issues due to the MS. I saw a photo on the net when I was looking for anything similar to what I was seeing on my chest, my neighbor looked at my scalp and said the lesions looked like smaller versions of the ones I saw on my chest, shoulders, jaw line at neck and on up throughout my scalp. Acne Vulgaris photos on the medical sites I visited seemed to look like what I have. When I push down in the center of the ones on my body it feels like a round deep nodule ... when I pushed down on the ones on my scalp it hurt BUT felt better then they oozed serum that formed a crust and then my hair the next day looked like I poured baby oil all over my head. Years ago I had mersa and was treated for it. During that episode clear liquid was dripping down my face onto the floor and every place it touched my unaffected skin felt like I was being burned with acid.
My internist wanted me to go to UVA in Charlottesville, VA because he said there were allot of doctors there who could look at my case and hopefully provide an answer. Also, the areas on my skin itch especially on back of my shoulders and the area just below my hairline.

Have you taken the medication Dapsone before for your condition ?

You definitely do not need steroids or antibiotics for this condition

No, unless it was a generic version. The thing that is so weird is my chest was clear then the FAMOUS triangle of inflamed acne bumps about 1/2 inch each all appeared at the same time and the rest is HISTORY! I am not taking any meds for the MS, I take antidepressant Pristique for about 5 years and have only gained weight with this Rx.
Oh, about the same timeline I quit smoking. I had shingles then as well ... which, thinking back could have been the MERSA. I really suffered with the shingles on my face & the best relief I had was using moist hot compresses until the shingles stopped. I do not remember if I was put on Rx for that.

Have you ever done a biopsy from the folliculitis

This sounds very much like Neutrophilic Folliculitis :

Have you got patches of scarring or hair loss on the scalp over the years ?

Is there any way to treat this or totally get rid of it? I thought the hair loss was a result of my taking kalonopin and my age at the time 66. I had so much hair loss while on this med. I took the hair that came out on my comb after washing my hair to show the doctor ... she took me off that.

You need to be on this medication called Dapsone This medication is available by prescription at your doctors clinic and would help in getting rid of your problem permanently

apart from oral intake you can also try the following:

Clean the area with Cetaphil cleansing lotion

and Use Aczone gel daily : Here is the website link for aczone https://www.aczone.com/contact-us

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards

Dr Pravin

I would be happy to help

OMG!! Bless your heart ... Yes they did biopsys and all came back normal. I said to the doctor "Look at my skin .. DOES THIS look NORMAL to you??" She simply replied "it is not dermatological". I see my internist the 26th of this month and will take your information with me. Gosh, I have never been so excited to go to the doctor!! I cannot thank you enough and I will keep you in my prayers. My Best Wishes to YOU, C**** ******

Thank you so much Carol !

I am pleased to assist you in your problem

Regards

I would be happy to assist you in the future.

I have released the rating service application on your page .

Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Dr. Pravin,
I wanted to thank you again for help regarding my skin & scalp issues that no doctor here could cure. My doctors were amazed at the results after a 2 ten day course of the Rx you suggested. I would guess they are putting this MIRACLE cure in their records for future patients. Thank you so very much & GOD BLESS YOU! Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you very much ***** *****

I am glad I could bring a smile to you and your family.

Regards

Dr Pravin