Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I seem to be suffering with itchy dry lips and some times…

Hi I seem to...

Hi I seem to be suffering with itchy dry lips and some times red lumps been to the docs thay don't see much wrong but I know thay are not Wright! Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

Probably 6 months or more I have been applying caneston cream which seems to sooth the itch and drying but again doc says he can't see anything so won't treat it lol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do suffer with eczema

1/16/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

The commonest causes for itchy dry lips are contact dermatitis or a fungal infection.

Contact dermatitis occurs due to contact with any allergen - something you eat or use on your lips. It can flare up from time to time. People who suffer from eczema is at high risk for getting contact dermatitis since they tend to be more sensitive to allergens than other people.

A fungal infection is also a possibility, especially since the itchiness is cured by canestan.

Please evaluate anything that comes in contact with your lips and see if there is any connection with the flare up of the itchy dry lips.

You can try applying a mild steroid like Cortisone, OTC, and see if that helps.

Applying Canestan twice daily and Cortisone once daily for at least 7 days should help clear up the condition.

Keep the lips well hydrated by drinking adequate fluids and applying a good moisturizer or oil.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

Ok thanks I will try and see how I get on.

You are welcome.

Thank you.

Would it be Werth taking an over the counter pill for the possible fungal infection ?

Antifungal pills are not OTC, only by prescription.

Only Antifungal ointments like canestan are OTC.

Thank you.
Ok thanks
Would a toothpaste cause the issue? I'm using forever living with aloe vera

Forever Living with aloe vera is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction but different people can be sensitive to different substances . Please try using another toothpaste and see if that helps.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD