Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have a fungus on my scalp,it's looked like freckles in the…

I have a fungus...

I have a fungus on my scalp,it's looked like freckles in the beginning I went online I was told to let it dry out. I thought it had cleared up and I put oil on my hair by being a black female and I don't believe it dried out completely cuz I was having little black balls coming out but now nothing comes out but I think I still have the fungus under my scalp is there anything I can do to dry it out faster

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes that's how I knew it was fungus but I'm not in the state that I saw the doctor in and I can't afford another doctor's visit in another state but if I have to I will I don't believe it's dry. Completely and it's been almost 2 months I was given a fungal cream and the pharmacist said that I could get the same product off the shelf which was a jock cream it did dried out to where it's at now but I don't think it's dried out completely is there anything else I can use off-the-shelf to dry my scalp out

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. what I think it was from was where I was dying my hair on a constant

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I was dying my hair,I had extention braids .. synthetic hair extensions in my hair and I dyed my hair with the extensions in my hair that's when my scalp started itching and I think that's when the fungus started growing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much longer
1/16/2018
DR.Das.MD

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you for your patience.

Fungal infection of the scalp, known as Tinea Capitis, is difficult to cure with ointments or shampoos alone. This is because the fungal spores get into the hair shafts and it is very difficult to reach them.

Oral medicines can help but you will need to get a prescription for them.

Please try using Nizoral or Selsun shampoo twice a week , both OTC.

Also apply Lotrimin ointment directly on the spots here you can see the fungal growths. Do not apply it all over the scalp.

If you see no improvement in 1 week, please consult a doctor.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here till you are satisfied. Simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how did I get this fungus?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks that's find ...do you have an idea on what cause the fungus
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to know so this won't happen again
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it have been from dying my like I suggested,with the synthetic braids in
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My hair)

Fungus spores are present everywhere in the sir or on the skin. They become capable of causing an infection only when he medium for growth is good. Fungus grows well in warm humid conditions.

In your case, it is likely that the synthetic brains helped hold moisture for a long time after your dyeing, keeping the hair damp - this helped he fungus to grow among the hair shaft and the scalp.

Drying off the hair soon after dyeing will help prevent fungal infections in future.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here till you are satisfied. Simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

DR.Das.MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much you are 5 star
Vera Morhenn
Phone call session started
DR.Das.MD
DR.Das.MD
DR.Das.MD, MD