Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Can I send you photos of mouth sores and tongue that is

Customer Question
Can I send you...

Can I send you photos of mouth sores and tongue that is concerning me

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It’s not so much the pain, less than 36 hours, but the size and increasing more sores

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Please attach a picture of the mouth sores here.

I

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Hi so it’s not the pain it’s the sores are spreading
Even though I do have some pain when i smile because the sides of my gums are inflamed
Ok so please write me what your thoughts are t

Actually, from the pictures that you have attached, these look like canker sores more than anything else. In some patients, they can appear suddenly and may progress rapidly to involve the whole of the oral cavity or even the tongue. Usually, canker sores are benign in nature and would NOT cause any serious issues to your health in the long term. These do NOT look like herpes sores or even sores due to another serious infection. Usually, canker sores are caused by a multitude of conditions which can include,

• Toothpaste and mouth rinses containing sodium lauryl sulfate
  • Food sensitivities, particularly for chocolate, coffee, strawberries, eggs, nuts, cheese, and spicy or acidic foods
  • A diet lacking in vitamin B-12, zinc, folate (folic acid) or iron
  • An allergic response to certain bacteria in your mouth
  • Helicobacter pylori, the same bacteria that cause peptic ulcers
  • Hormonal shifts during menstruation
  • Emotional stress
  • Sometimes certain diseases may cause them such as
    • Celiac disease, a serious intestinal disorder caused by a sensitivity to gluten, a protein found in most grains
    • Inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
    • Behcet's disease, a rare disorder that causes inflammation throughout the body, including the mouth

But in most patients, the cause is benign in nature, in your case I believe you should try the following,

• Cut down on stress and anxiety
  • Start using OTC vitamin supplements which contain zinc, iron, folate, magnesium, selenium, and B12
  • APply OTC products such as
    • Benzocaine (Anbesol, Kank-A, Orabase, Zilactin-B)
    • Fluocinonide (Lidex, Vanos)
    • Hydrogen peroxide (Orajel Antiseptic Mouth Sore Rinse, Peroxyl)
  • Also, I would suggest that you start using OTC Prilosec at a dose of 10 mg twice daily as SILENT acid reflux is a major cause of the sudden appearance of this kind of sores which are rapidly spreading, usually the reflux would occur at night.

I would suggest that you start using the above methods and if the symptoms don't subside within a week then visit your doctor for prescription medications but these are canker sores and NOTHING serious.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

The other thing is that my tongue is tingly that was the first sign that made me concerned and now there is pain in the cheeks is that normal of canker soars that the actual cheeks get inflamed?

Yes actually you can experience pain in cheeks with severe canker sores, it is a common complaint of patients who have several sores. The pain alone does not indicate that this is a severe infection.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.