Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have all the symptoms of scabies eg. many, many

Customer Question
I have all the...

I have all the symptoms of scabies eg. many, many track/burrow marks on back, arms, legs , feet , hands and fingers the worse marks are around my neck. I have only just realised that this is what it is and have been suffering this for 8 month. The only part im not sure about is that i have read many articles that say you cannot get it on your face, however my face has been affected more than the rest of my body. I have had several deep lesions on my face with what i thought were maggots in them because i could see with a x5 mirror loads of white things. The crust over and the scabs are so painfull. If I soak the scabs off the white things are still there and very painful.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

The night time is horrific ! Some night my body has felt alive with (again what I thought were worms moving around) especially as the movement was often followed by light red, white or silvery marks that looked like worms. Every so often i can feel an intence peirecing but its manageable because the area may only be small like in one of my toes or a finger. I have been using tea tree oil and this sometimes stings quite a lot and I can feel an overwhelming crawling sensation deep in my skin where the oil was rubbed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think the scabies (if it is scabies) is crusted

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
1/8/2018
Dermatologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry that you are suffering from Scabies. A picture would be helpful so I can see the areas involved. If this is actually scabies, then you will need to see your PCP, an Urgent Care Facility or a Dermatologist for prescription medication to kill the mites and their eggs. Tea Tree oil or any other over the counter medications will not kill scabies.

Please attach a picture.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am having problems choosing multiple photos ?

Thank you for the pictures. I do see what looks like "track marks" which are indicative of scabies. May I suggest you seek medical evaluation and a prescription medication to kill them. Also, you will need to wash all of your bedding and clothing in hot water to effectively kill any that are there. One treatment is usually enough, but this process may need to be repeated for permanent results.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wanted to add other photos is that ok

Please do. I will review them when received.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** i have sent too many, I have many more but im sure you have other people to fix .
I havnt been totally truthful, I have been to the doctors 7 times on the first occasion a swab was taken from one small lesion and the results confirmed staphylococcus, I was given cream but it didnt clear up. I went back several times but was just told that is should clear up if I keep using cream and not to 'fiddle' with my face. I was at the end of things so went back for the 7th time to just tell the doctors that I could feel something crawling under my skin.........the same day I was sent for an emergency evaluation by the mental health team, I was given sleeping tablets and diazepam to ease my symptoms ???? I was so distraught but held it in because I knew that they were obviousely heading towards delusional parasitosis by the way they were saying they could not see any white marks on my arms or legs and repeatedly asking me if i was a picker of scabs because (I had made them look very sore) . Within 1 week i had an appointment with a psychiatrist to discuss this issue with me. My family who now beleived the doctors just wanted my face to get better so I made it very easy for the psychiatrist to break the news to me that it was all in my head. I showed a good understanding of this because I already knew quite alot about the brain and the amazing things it is capable of (good or bad) I basically played along for the sake of my family and it is obvious that if someone is diagnosing you with delusional parasitosis, the more i contest the stronger it would make his findings, although not one doctor has asked me my symptoms or clinically examined me. So I started taking the Olanzapine i was prescribed still feeling i wanted to end things because of the sleepless nights where i could feel crawling over my body and nobody beleived me and now I didnt have the option to go to the doctors, so I pretented I was ok and sought out a private dermatologist who, looked at my face for maybe 10 seconds and said it looks like I could have impetigo. I am suffering so, so much I cannot put it into words, I am in a living nightmare. Today before contacting you I have done a lot of reading and research, I have ordered on the internet permethrin 5% and oral stromecol. I didnt know what else to do, Do you think this was the best descicion . Please excuse my spelling and grammer, im in a little bit of a state. Thank you, Jayne

Jayne,

After reviewing all of your pictures, trying both Permethrin and Stromectol may be the answer. These will not cause you any harm when taken as directed. There is one photo which may be impetigo (scaly yellow on right side of your face) and the use of over the counter Bacitracin will help to cure this bacterial infection. Apply the Bacitracin twice daily for 2 weeks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wonder if you could comment on the deep lesion with white things in it on my eyebrow,
The white things in the lesion on side of face, the deep crevices in the lesion and the same white things all over my tongue. Thank you

The area next to your right eye may also be a bacterial infection and will benefit from the Bacitracin application. The spots on your tongue appear to be papillae which are normal and can change depending on the stimulation from different foods, especially tart, sour, spice, acids, etc. These can be treated with salt water swish and spit after meals and before bed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do any of these areas look like scabies ???
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are these white thinks scabies ??

The white areas may be scabies but it is hard to tell just from your pictures.

This link will provide pictures of what scabies looks like.

https://www.healthy-skin-guide.com/pictures-of-scabies.html#A

Try the medication that you ordered. It will not cause you any harm and will kill scabies.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor