Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My wrist is extremely irritated from a bandage wrap. I can…

Customer Question
My wrist is extremely...

My wrist is extremely irritated from a bandage wrap. I can stop itching. I can take off the wrap for a while and let it air out, but as soon as I put it on again, the itching comes back. I’ve tried ointments& creams for anti itch & lidocaine. Noting works.

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

Itching, welts

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just had carpal tunnel surgery. The incision site is fine.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
1/7/2018
Dermatologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello and and thank you for your question.

Your symptoms sound like you have developed contact dermatitis from the wrap. Please apply Cortisone ointment, OTC twice a day. Also keep the skin well-moisturized. Dry skin tends to itch more than hydrated skin.

It is also possible that you are allergic to the wrap material. In this case, you will need to use an alternative wrap.

Please consult your doctor if the Cortisone ointment does not relieve the itch in 7 days.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.