Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

White spots inside mouth. Would like to know what they are.

Customer Question
No pain associated with them...
White spots inside mouth. Would like to know what they are. No pain associated with them. Noticed them about a month ago
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dermatology
Heres some photos
1/7/2018
Dermatologist: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you for your patience.

These look like enlarged sebaceous glands.

Sebaceous glands are present all over the skin as also inside the mouth. They produce a discharge known as sebum which help to keep the surrounding area moist and supple.

In some cases, sebaceous glands may enlarge to form small spots or lumps - the exact cause is unkown. These are benign, harmless conditions and will clear up spontaneously in time.

Other causes of the spots can be mucoceles or herpes simples sores.

Your spots look like sebaceous glands.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

This just appeared today. Also been having fatigue today but gradually getting better.

This looks like a mucocele. A mucocele occurs when the when the mouth's salivary glands become plugged with mucus. It is harmless and usually clears up on its own.

The exact cause is not known but is believed to be due to hypersensitivity to some food or due to stress.

It is benign and does not require treatment.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.