Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Have a small bump on armpit. Looks like pimple but no pus.

Customer Question
Thought it was an ingrown...
Have a small bump on armpit. Looks like pimple but no pus. Thought it was an ingrown hair but do not see one. Now aftet picking on it, it bleeds and become a small open wound. Anything serious? Possible cancer that the limp can grow?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
1/6/2018
Dermatologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

how long has the bump been there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure. I saw it yesterday. But I occasionally have bumps like this but it would hurt that i know it is in grown hair. But this one didn’t hurt mich that made me notice. I would say like a week?

looks like folliculitis, which is small and localized skin infection of a sweat gland or hair follicle.

usually responds to warm compresses. would not be cancer or anything else concerning

Does that help answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. But cannot see any ingrown hair inside. It was like a small bump, like a pimple that doesn’t hurt much. So these kind of bumps could just happen and are harmless, right?

yes, so most likely its a sweat gland and not a hair follicle that's infected.
and yes, them are harmless and not cancer.
They respond well to warm compresses applied for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. Thank you so it kinda the same as a bump on leg that doesn’t go away anf doesn’t grow either. I have been having this small bump all my life. Sometimes it grows a bit larger and sometimes it is more flat.

last picture is benign nevus (essentially a skin mole) that is not cancerous either.

does that help answer your question?

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD