Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I've had urethral itching for about 4 years. This is how it…

Customer Question
Hello, I've had urethral itching for...
I've had urethral itching for about 4 years. This is how it started. I'll narrate all events because I don't know what may be related: I started noticing that when my penis became erect it would release some kind of clear fluid like semen. Then after a week or so I felt pain in the liver. At the clinic i was given a couple of tablets to swallow for the liver. I fell asleep for about 11 straight hours. The liver pain was gone. Then, after a couple of weeks, one morning I woke up only to find I had a wet dream and the tip of my penis opening was itching. This was the biginning of my nightmare. The doctor said i had a urinary tract infection and gave me antibiotics. The itching stopped but came back after a few days. I have taken many antibiotics but every time the itching returns. Further on after, when the doctor tests the urine this time it would always test negative unlike the first time. One time i requested the doctor to keep the urine for about a week. Then it showed candida. I took fluconazole. Again itching returned after a few days. Over the years the itching has spread up the urethra. I even feel pain inside the scrotum. I don't know what I'am suffering from. Please advise. I would also like to add that prior to this I never had sexual intercourse. So I've ruled out STDs though I've been given chlamidya medication before but it didn't help. Again prior to everything i used to have anal itching once in a while. I don't know if it may be related.
Thanks
DS
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dermatology
I'll would like to add that the itching has spread to the penis head below the ring inside the foreskin. The foreskin also itches once in a while as well as the outside of the penis. Last year I started feeling itching in my ears and shoulders. Don't know if that's related.
One last thing: over the 4 years I've had this itching, my penis erections have seriously weakened as though I'm gravitating towards impotency.
1/7/2018
Dermatologist: vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 6 months ago
vakularen
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Do you have any family history of diabetes/obesity ?What are your physical exercise levels ?Have you had urine cultures done?How long did you take the Fluconazole?It would help getting a prostrate massage and check up of the prostratic fluid to rule out any chronic Prostratitis.Please give me more information,thanks.

I have no history of diabetes or obesity in my family. I jog 2 to 3 times a week. I took fluconazole for about a week. The first few days symptoms stopped. But then started again while I was still taking the medication.

Getting a urine culture testing done,as well as a a repeated testing for fungal infection of the urine would be essential.Itching of the foreskin and glans would support the diagnosis of a fungal infection if accompanied by a musty odour .Ruling out fungal pyelonephritis or cystitis by a Cystoscopy and an MRI may help evaluate any persistent fungal infection of the urinary tract.Once diagnosed this needs to be treated for about 3 weeks with antufungal drugs like Ketoconazole/Itraconazole.Simeltaneous treatment of your partner will ensure that that the infection is eradicated.

I have done plenty of urine cultures. But everytime they come back negative.
Last year my prostrate and bladder were scanned with an MRI but the results showed they were of normal sizes

It would be helpful to take a course of antifungals like Sporonex (Itraconazole)along with your partner,treating for Non-gonococcal Urethritis (NGU) may also help.Lastly ,treating for Nonspecific urticaria may be required as the itching persist across the body.