Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have 5 lumps. The 1stvis the size of a bb on the inside of…

Customer Question
I have 5 lumps...

I have 5 lumps. The 1stvis the size of a bb on the inside of my left bicep. It has been there for a few years. Recently/ a couple months ago I developed a large pea size hard lump at the base of my right pointer finger where the webbing begins. Just in the last week I discovered 3 more. Right inner thigh just above the knee. Back side of the right knee actually on a tendon. And upper inner right thigh. All of the most recent 4 have had the same characteristics. I find them because the area is tender around them. When I do what comes natural and rub them it hurts and is sore for a day or so and then the lump 'stabilizes'. It doesn't really hurt anymore and the area around it isn't tender. It doesn't get much smaller. It doesn't get bigger at all. But it doesn't go away. Thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have HPV. Peronies diseas. And Duputrens disease.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dermatology
1/6/2018
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 7 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

most likely these are ganglion cysts

these are common and associated with joints or tendons

they are benign and don't cause issues other than tenderness

I can't be 100% sure without an in person exam but that is what this sounds like

Is this helpful?

Why would they pop up in such "great numbers". All of a sudden. The last two I just found today. And #3 just a day or two ago.

generally age related

how old are you?

45
I've been sick lately with a good chest cold and I've been running pretty hard working so I feel like my system is pretty low right now.

I see

Not sure why so many popped up right now

but generally they occur with age