Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I believe I made be having a reaction to a metal stainless…

Customer Question
I believe I made be...
I believe I made be having a reaction to a metal stainless steel bar in my leg that was placed there seven years ago to hold the two halves of the bone in alignment while healing. How would I get tested to determine the nickel in the stainless steel is causing me problems? The stainless steel back of my watch turns my skin purple. I can't help but think that stainless steel internally isn't the reason for the inflammation I am having.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dermatology
1/5/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 1 month ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I know this happens and only happens where the watch is, I no longer the watch to contact my skin.
I put felt on the back of my stainless steel watch so that it provides a barrier between the watch and my skin.
When the contact was present it generated a deep purple spot at the point of contact on my deep brown skin. It had no water blisters simply deep discoloration and my skin appeared somewhat wrinkled.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once I stopped the direct contact with my skin via the felt cloth barrier, it took about a month for my skin to return to normal color and texture.

Thank you very much for your reply.

There is a test called a skin patch test which can detect your sensitivity .

It is done at the clinic .

I am sending you the link about how it is done and where it is done :

There is a patch with 21 or more common allergens. This patch is applied on the back and kept on the back for 7 days.

Readings are taken by the doctor at the clinic every 2 days and the patch test is checked for results.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

http://www.smartpractice.com/shop/wa/category?cn=Education&id=508219&m=SPA&mc=true

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I take it if you have a problem with these metals on your skin, then they would also be problematic if placed within you internally. Is that a valid assumption? How would you determine that your system is rebelling again them and causing inflammation when internal?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think you must have missed this last question.
And so I take it if you have a problem with these metals on your skin, then they would also be problematic if placed within you internally. Is that a valid assumption? How would you determine that your system is rebelling again them and causing inflammation when internal?

Yes , if you have a problem with the metal there is a definite chance of getting allergy even when placed inside the tissues near bones or internally.

We see many cases who get allergic reactions to titanium metal implants on bones.

The only way to get an idea if they are rebelling the system is to see if you are getting fever , swelling at the site of implants and do a biopsy from the area to check for eosinophilic infiltrate in the biopsy sample.

Skin patch test is the first method.

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist